The ABC bakers http://avidbakerschallenge.blogspot.com/ are nearing the end of baking from Flo Braker's Baking for all Occasions. This recipe transforms a usually all savory bread into a sweet (but not too sweet) and savory breakfast bread dotted with fresh blackberries and an unusual olive oil streusel topping. The yeast bread is a straight forward recipe and I refrigerated the dough overnight before it had doubled in size. I finished the rise the next morning and shaped it into a 1/4 size sheet pan (I made only one half of the recipe). The streusel is intriquing. Toasted whole almonds are submerged in olive oil, thus infusing the oil and making the almonds quite delicious. They were a good nibble and I think they could be seasoned for a snack with cocktails. After the nuts are cooled, they are drained and coarsely chopped with flour, white and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, a bit of the almond infused olive oil and some cold butter. The dough was puffy and full flavored. The streusel was crunchy and perfect with the big juicy blackberries. I am just thinking this would be good with fresh cranberries for a holiday breakfast.
Next month we will bake the cake presented on the cover, Eggnog Pound Cake with Crystal Rum Glaze - another holiday treat.
I will be traveling to NYC to visit my daughter and certainly will engage in food related shopping. Best wishes for a happy baking November. Take care, lola

Great job, Lola. The blackberries look beautiful and so does the crunchy streusel. Glad you enjoyed it. Have fun visiting with your daughter and I'll see you when it's time to bake the Eggnog Pound Cake!!
ReplyDeleteintriguing! I like the idea of having this for breakfast.
ReplyDelete