

This weeks recipe chosen by Lauren of I'll Eat You was a lovely tart. It looked beautiful on my Thanksgiving table along with Dorie's Pumpkin Twofer pie, page 321. The pears are poached in red wine and the pastry cream has pistachios. I did find the pastry cream a bit thick, even when I added some cream. I am not sure about using so much cornstarch. I plan to make this again for a holiday lunch and will adjust the thickening. The caramelized pistachios were easy to make and added the perfect crunch. The "optional" sauce is not "optional" in my opinion. It was lovely for the guest to drizzle over their piece of tart. A "keeper" recipe to delight the eye and palate!
I had not made the Twofer Pumpkin Pecan pie before and I really appreciated going to the Q&A for this recipe on the TWD website. What a treasure trove of information. The comments included some about the crust. I, also, had trouble with Dorie's crust and so used my own. Other than that, the filling is delicious - not too sweet and I love the combo of pumpkin and crunchy pecans. When I was traveling in lower Missouri two years ago on business, I stumbled across a talented artist. He creates the most honest and simple natural red clay hand thrown pie plates. They will make your pies even more perfect. The bottom of my Twofer pie browned just right and it was lovely to serve from. His plates were mentioned in Fine Cooking and he is very busy keeping up with the orders. I have included a photo of his plate. Tom Hess of Hess's Pottery is located in Reed's Spring, Missouri. The web address is: hesspottery.com Also, Laurie's baskets are delightful. Take a look. Have a great week during this busy time of year. Isn't it fun preparing for family visits and all of the holiday activities? Take care, lola
I had not made the Twofer Pumpkin Pecan pie before and I really appreciated going to the Q&A for this recipe on the TWD website. What a treasure trove of information. The comments included some about the crust. I, also, had trouble with Dorie's crust and so used my own. Other than that, the filling is delicious - not too sweet and I love the combo of pumpkin and crunchy pecans. When I was traveling in lower Missouri two years ago on business, I stumbled across a talented artist. He creates the most honest and simple natural red clay hand thrown pie plates. They will make your pies even more perfect. The bottom of my Twofer pie browned just right and it was lovely to serve from. His plates were mentioned in Fine Cooking and he is very busy keeping up with the orders. I have included a photo of his plate. Tom Hess of Hess's Pottery is located in Reed's Spring, Missouri. The web address is: hesspottery.com Also, Laurie's baskets are delightful. Take a look. Have a great week during this busy time of year. Isn't it fun preparing for family visits and all of the holiday activities? Take care, lola

Well, I couldn't get the text to line up correctly at the beginning - sorry. I have no more time to fiddle with it, as I am off to baking biscotti.
ReplyDeleteYour pies look lovely. My pastry cream was the opposite of stiff.
ReplyDeleteYour pie and your tart look delicious! I passed on the tart this week. Didn't have everything I needed to make it. May have to change that. :)
ReplyDelete