Monday, February 20, 2012

Gutsy Cooks Club - Baking with Heart


I hope everyone enjoyed Valentine's Day. I didn't exactly follow the suggested agenda this week, but have had much fun baking and sharing - red velvet heart shaped cake, decorating cookies with darling neighbor children, biscotti, ciabatta, etc.


However, my most adventuresome endeavor this past week was Brie in Brioche. I have included it in this post, as I really wanted to share this impressive party dish with the Gutsy Cooks. It is based on a recipe from Baking with Julia with some alteration on my part. The recipe calls for roasting/caramelizing whole onions. I caramelized sliced onions. I also used a brioche recipe from Flour by Joanne Chang which I found very easy to prepare. In following the directions from Julia, I placed dough on the bottom of a springform pan, braided the brioche dough and topped the cheese with the onions and another piece of dough. Not a recipe for the faint of heart, but very rewarding and fun to see it rise and spring when in the oven. Here it is ready to bake. I thought if it didn't work out, I would just cut it up and serve in a basket.



Well, it baked up beautifully and the guests devoured every buttery crumb. I had just enough brioche dough left to bake a small loaf for my honey which made him very happy.

I just realized it has been weeks since I posted for this great group of Gutsy Cooks. Sorry Monica, I have been cooking but just haven't been good about posting. Please check out the other blogs at http://www.sweetbitesblog.com/
Take care, lola

3 comments:

  1. Lola! talk about getting your gutsiness out.. that looks awesome and I'm putting it on my recipes to try bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks amazing! Now I have to check the recipe of this in Baking With Julia....looks like something my family will love!

    ReplyDelete