Wednesday, July 4, 2012

ABC Classic Fruit Tart for 4th of July



After being away and missing the brioche in June, I am happy to be able to again participate. Although, I am in Mexico for the 4th, it is a memorable day for our family. Our daughter was born on this date some ??? years ago. We miss being with her, but it was fun to make this tart to share with neighbors and celebrate the birthday of our nation, as we remember so many birthday parties.

The recipe has no surprises and is easy to prepare. I like that the pastry cream is "somewhat lightened" with whipped cream - oh yes! Raspberries and blackberries were available to me, so that is our red and blue. As often when making this dough, I have experienced it to be dry. Therefore, I found it necessary to add approximately 3 tablespoons of ice cold water to the dough to make it cohesive. Does anyone else have this problem?

Please see the other ABC classic tarts  http://avidbakerschallenge.blogspot.com/

In August we will be baking a Glazed Apricot-Plum Galette from our book, The Weekend Baker by Abigail Johnson Dodge. I may have to substitute fruit, as fresh apricots are not really available here. Maybe mango and berries or papaya?

Happy Summer to all of the ABC bakers. Take care, lola

5 comments:

  1. Great-looking tarts Lola! I too will be substituting the apricots for the Galette and might use peaches or nectarines for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very adorable! I thought about adding water but resisted. Sounds like it worked out well for you. Love the berry choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Lola. I hope you had a fun vacation here in the States. I'm glad you made the crust work for you by adding more water. Your tarts look lovely!! Your neighbors and friends are a lucky bunch (I'm sure they know that already) :o)
    As for next month's galette, please feel free to substitute whatever fruit is in season. Those are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty tartlets. Are you at a higher altitude, Lola? That could influence the hydration of the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lola, I love that you used blackberries and raspberries! I find the dough to be very soft and not easy to handle, maybe because due to our hot and humid weather here, I guess that does make some difference!
    Wish you a great summer!

    ReplyDelete