Wednesday, August 8, 2012

ABC Glazed Apricot-Plum Galette


Yesterday was a lovely cooler day after a rainy night here in the tropics. I had not baked much in the past week, so I was anxious to take advantage of the day and prepare the Glazed Apricot Plum Galette for ABC. This is one of my favorite ways to present fruit or savory veggies. I miss the good old farmers' markets in the States, however, I was able to find some plums at my Mexican market which were okay. I had fresh pineapple,  I soaked dried apricots and finished with some fresh blackberries. The crust went together just fine with a bit more ice cold water added. I always freeze the cut butter, especially here where it is warmer. I prepared two galettes and froze one as suggested by the author. What a great idea freezing it on a plastic plate well wrapped - just the right size. The other one I baked and shared with a neighbor. Reviews were "delicious" from my tasters and I love that I have another one in the freezer.

When I bake a sweet galette, I like to sprinkle a few crumbled cookies on the bottom, this time also with chopped nuts. The crumbs soak up some of the juice, add a nice little texture and another layer of flavor. I used amaretti this time, but you could use vanilla wafers, gingersnaps, your choice. I really like the fresh ginger and lemon zest added to the fruit in this recipe. Be sure to check out the other rustic galettes http://avidbakerschallenge.blogspot.com

So with it being a cooler day, I decided to bake a favorite bread for my honey. Millet Bread. The recipe is from an older (1994) cookbook sitting on my shelf that I began using this year, The Bread Book by Betsy Oppenneer. It may be available in the library or your favorite used book store if you are interested. I have made a number of the recipes and all were superb, although she does not give measurements by weight. So, I thought I would share it with all of you fabulous bakers.


Thank you for the nice comments last month. We will be driving to Texas for annual doctor appointments in early September. We will be again visiting our son in Boulder, Colorado. I can't wait for the Farmers' Market - I hope the peaches are still available. I may make some jam to bring home. From Colorado we plan to fly to Northern California to visit our daughter and a grandson. They both work for Apple, so I hope to improve my skills with my new devices. ABC bakers will make a "mile-high vanilla sponge cake" for September. I will be on the road when it is due, so I may have to bake it later in the month when I am "mile high" in Colorado.

Enjoy the rest of your summer. Take care, lola
 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to ABC, Lola!! It's good to have you, and what a wonderful tart you made! I love dried apricots. And what a great idea to make two galettes and freeze one. It's not that much more work. Have a wonderful vacation visiting your kids in the States. Looking forward to your next post.
    Enjoy the rest of your summer!
    - Hanaâ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lola, Your galette looks wonderful with all the mixed fruits added in!
    Lovely bread! Hope everything is well with your annual doctor's appointment! Wish you a good and safe trip to Colorado!
    Fresh peaches, I'm already drooling! :)

    ReplyDelete