Thursday, May 28, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers Thursday


"Got Milk?"

This weeks recipe selected by Eva of I'm Boring is from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, page 172. Outrageous Brownies and they are certainly that and more. I made half of the recipe and baked in a half sheet pan lined with parchment. Now the issue for me was that the recipe calls for extra large eggs, which is not the usual for baking. I cannot get extra large eggs where I live, so I googled to find out size differences. With the knowledge that large eggs are approximately 2 ounces or 3 1/2 tablespoon liquid, I proceeded using 3 eggs (remember I made only half) and approximately a scant 2 tablespoons liquid from one beaten large egg. The size may have not made too much difference with only half of the recipe, but probably would have made a difference in the full recipe. I baked for 35 minutes until a pick came out nearly clean and the top was just barely beginning to crack. After cooling, I cut them, tasted one, my but it was yummy, so I gave all away except for two for my honey. Needless to say, my neighbors are happy and my waistline is thanking me. This is a really easy and fine recipe as a gift to chocolate lovers. Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I've heard wonderful things about Ina's brownies! Glad you liked them.

    If you have a kitchen scale, a large egg (out of the shell) weighs 50 grams, and an extra-large one weighs 56 grams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are my #1 brownie pick - I think they are just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! These brownies look outrageously delicious. Man oh man, how I adore a good brownie. I'm definitely going to try out Ina's recipe. Looks like everyone really loved these brownies. Sorry I've been away for the past week; I had a good friend in town and wasn't able to do much on the computer. I'm back now, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you liked them. i just used large eggs and hoped for the best. her extra large eggs bug me because everyone else uses large! maybe that's why mine came out a touch on the dry side. that or i overbaked them a little.

    ReplyDelete