Tuesday, May 12, 2009

TWD Tartest Lemon Tart


Thanks to Babette of Babette Feasts, this week the TWD bakers made a yummy lemon tart. During the week, there was some discussion regarding removal of the pith. The day before I planned to make this tart, I watched Christine Cushing Live on Food Network Canada. Her guest, Anne Yarymovich, was the chef from the Agora Restaurant, Art Gallery of Ontario. She made a similar tart and was explicit about the necessity of using the zest (in strips) but not the pith. Most recipes using lemon zest say to not use any of the pith. Therefore, I cut away the pith. I used 2 lemons instead of the 1 1/2. I had almond meal from Bob's Red Mill in my freezer and replaced the 1/4 cup of almonds ground. My crust had a bit more texture, but I liked it. I used 5" tart pans. A really nice size for smaller portions. I was able to make 3 small tarts from the recipe. They made delicious gifts for my friends.

I really enjoyed this tart. I love lemon almost as much as chocolate. This recipe will be a keeper for me . Thank you Babette for an excellent choice.

6 comments:

  1. I took out the pith and was so happy I did! It was pure perfection! Your tart is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks delicious! It makes me wish I had a piece right now. But it's lunchtime, which, in my case, means Lean Cuisine time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! I skipped the pith too, and although I haven't eaten the tarts yet, I'm sure I'm going to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful.

    I ended up not making it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your tart looks absolutely delicious!! I'm a big fan of lemon tarts, although I don't make them nearly often enough. You've put me in the mood for one, though, so I may have to make one soon. Sorry that I've been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tart looks lovely. I kept the pith and it wasn't bitter.

    ReplyDelete