Monday, December 13, 2010

ABC Maple Pecan Medjool Date Rugelach

This is a late post due to computer problems. Thank you Hanna for the time extension. I baked these last week and they disappeared rather quickly. You cannot eat just one and, as usual I shared with friends. This is a classic Eastern Europe pastry and the recipe in Baking for All Occasions by Flo Braker is straight forward with good instructions. However, as other ABC bakers did I "googled" to find some demonstrations on cutting and folding the pastry. The cream cheese pastry is easy to prepare and is very forgiving in the handling. Dates seem to be abundant and fresh in the markets right now, so no problem finding the Medjool dates. After the dough is rolled, it is coated with a little maple syrup. This acts as a glue for the cinnamon, brown sugar and chopped pecans. The date is cut into 4 pieces with one in each crescent. After rolling they look like little croissants. In baking they become lightly golden and then are dipped into a sugar, maple syrup glaze and chopped nuts. These little morsels are not too sweet and lovely with a cup of tea or coffee. What a nice addition to holiday gift cookie tins. Please check out some of the talented bakers/bloggers on the ABC Blog Roll - http://avidbakerschallenge.blogspot.com/
Take care, lola

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you’re back!!! I’m glad you got your computer fixed. Your Rugelach turned out great. I was surprised how easy they were to make. What impressed me the most is their taste. We loved them and so did my coworkers.
    P.S.: don’t forget to leave your link here: http://avidbakerschallenge.blogspot.com/2010/12/abc-bakers-link-for-december-2010.html.

    ReplyDelete