
This was a fun, easy and tasty selection for TWD by Jessica of My Baking Heart. Some of the bakers, including myself decided to make it more challenging by making our own puff pastry. I followed Jennifer's lead for the Quick and Easy Puff Pastry, Recipe #31504 from Recipezaar. It was easy to prepare and baked well. I did as Jennifer had and started in a food processor to cut in butter and sour cream, then rolled between wax paper.
However, I couldn't leave it at that. On line, I found the Quickest Puff Pastry from Cook's Illustrated, published March 1, 1994. As you may know their recipes are very well tested. This recipe is a basic one with only butter, flour, salt and water (no sour cream). I used a rich butter from New Zealand. It is made in a food processor and was easy to work.
Now for the bake test. Actually, each pastry rose about the same, but the one with all butter, was, of course, richer and more flaky. I think that I put the fruit too close to the edge of the pastry, which kept it from rising as much. Next time I will make them a little larger and move the fruit away from the edge. However, they were delicious. I made strawberry, mango and added some blueberries. I brushed with a little guava jelly, sprinkled with a touch of cardamom, a little brown sugar with butter. What a treat right out of the oven. I was going to walk on the beach eating mine instead of a street in Paris, but they were devoured before I could get to the beach.
However, I couldn't leave it at that. On line, I found the Quickest Puff Pastry from Cook's Illustrated, published March 1, 1994. As you may know their recipes are very well tested. This recipe is a basic one with only butter, flour, salt and water (no sour cream). I used a rich butter from New Zealand. It is made in a food processor and was easy to work.
Now for the bake test. Actually, each pastry rose about the same, but the one with all butter, was, of course, richer and more flaky. I think that I put the fruit too close to the edge of the pastry, which kept it from rising as much. Next time I will make them a little larger and move the fruit away from the edge. However, they were delicious. I made strawberry, mango and added some blueberries. I brushed with a little guava jelly, sprinkled with a touch of cardamom, a little brown sugar with butter. What a treat right out of the oven. I was going to walk on the beach eating mine instead of a street in Paris, but they were devoured before I could get to the beach.
Thanks Jessica for a delectable selection. Happy Baking! lola
Wow, you made two batches of puff pastry?? I am so impressed! Nice job. Your tartlets look fantastic.
ReplyDeleteI love the way you assembled your fruit - your tartlets are gorgeous!!! And two different puff pastries? Wow!
ReplyDeleteThey all look wonderful and congrats on making your own puff pastry!
ReplyDeleteOMG, your Parisian Apple Tartlets look Amazing! And I can't believe you made 2 different recipes of puff pastry! Strawberry, mango, and blueberries - what a great combination and it makes a really pretty pastry!
ReplyDeleteI love your tartlets, they are so colourful!! The heart-shaped ones are adorable.
ReplyDeletethe heart shaped tartlets are too cute! i also went the homemade route wiht the puff pastry, and it was definitely worth the effort.
ReplyDeleteYou made two different puff pastry recipes? You're my hero! They all look wonderful!
ReplyDelete