
I recently joined another baking group. We are baking from Rose's Heavenly Cakes. The book is lovely. Rose Levy Beranbaum is an award-winning author and highly regarded baker. Buy the book, you will not be sorry. Marie is the facilitator and she sets a high standard. Her blog http://heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/ is informative and exciting with wonderful photography.
So, here I go! Unfortunately, my first experience was not very successful. I had decided to make one-half of the recipe. I made the beurre noisette, then carefully measured and weighed the ingredients, so as to be accurate, double checking amounts for half of the recipe. All went well. The eggs and sugar attained the proper volume. I proceeded with the directions and baked in 12 mini-bundt pans. I filled to the top and they came over the edge a bit in baking. I cut the baking time to approximately 15 minutes. So far so good, but they stuck to the molds. Alas, what a mess. I did remove them and cooled the sad looking little cakes on a rack. I live in a humid climate, so I refrigerated them. I tasted one and it was light, airy and delicious. Okay, so then I spent as much time cleaning the mess out of the mini-pans as preparing the cake. Since they are not very pretty, I plan to make a sort of trifle with soaking the cake and breaking it up, then serving with berries and whipped cream. As an experiment, I will freeze a couple of the unsoaked cakes and then soak them when defrosted. I do think they would make a nice quick dessert in a pinch. I plan to purchase the lovely rose shaped pan when I am next in the States and will bake this again. It was a good experience. There is always something to learn. I have never made a cake with clarified butter or beurre noisette. I look forward to seeing the successes of other heavenly bakers. Happy baking! lola
still looks great to me! :D
ReplyDeleteThey have a nice color and texture! Good idea about turning them into a trifle. They would be great to have on hand in the freezer to use for strawberries, etc.
ReplyDeleteThey look so fluffy and airy - I would do a trifle takeoff with whipped cream and berries, etc. Yum.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the group! Your cakes don't look too bad to me, abut good call turning them into trifle. That is never a bad idea :)
ReplyDeleteThanks to all of you and especially Marie for the support. I look forward to participating in this group.
ReplyDeleteLola.. welcome to the group and I have to agree with Faithy.. they look great to me as well.. but you have the right idea of turning a disaster into a win situation with the trifle - which is ALWAYS good in my book.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the group! Sorry to hear they stuck to the pan. A trifle is a perfect solution! :o)
ReplyDelete