
This is a lovely summertime fruit shortcake treat. After preparing the beurre noisette (clarified butter with the milk solids becoming brown which adds a warm, toasty flavor), a genoise is baked. It is such a fun cake to see come together as the eggs and sugar become a thick and airy cloud. This cake was to be baked in a Mary Ann or shortcake pan. This I did not have, so I used a 6" x 3" round pan. The cake is soaked in a sugar syrup after cooling and just before serving. Alas, there are no Marionberries where I live, fresh or frozen. I prepared blackberries tossed in a little sugar and some cabernet jelly that I had on hand. Instead of whipped cream, I topped with some of my homemade greek style yogurt. A really tasty combination. The cake freezes beautifully, you can have it ready for a spur of the moment dessert with any number of fruits. I always look forward to seeing how the other bakers in the group prepared this weeks presentation. Next week a delectable chocolate cake. See you then. lola
ב''ה
ReplyDeleteGood improvising! Cabernet Jelly sounds great. I also wish I had the right pan.
Oh yum! Sounds delicious and your picture is beautiful.
ReplyDelete