Monday, August 9, 2010

TWD Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream



If you love chocolate, this ice cream is for you! Decadent, smooth and fantastic. Katrina of Bakings and Boys selected the recipe this week. One must use a premium-quality chocolate. I used bittersweet. First, a ganache is made and then a custard of egg yolks, whole milk and heavy cream. Then they are combined before chilling and freezing. Several of the other TWD bakers commented on the thickness of the custard when it was chilled. Mine was as thick as a mousse and tasted lovely. Another way to serve, I think. I posted a photo of "before" and "after" freezing. Therefore, I didn't use my ice cream maker, as the custard/ganache was so thick. I froze it in a bowl, stirring every hour or so as it set up. Before it was firm, I stirred in toasted chopped hazelnuts and coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate. To my surprise, it froze very firm and required some time out of the freezer to soften before serving. My-oh-my - what a treat! Please be sure to check out the other TWD blogs. There are so many talented cooks, photographers and bloggers. I really enjoy being a part of this group. Have a good week TWD bakers. lola

3 comments:

  1. your first picture looks like the professional ice cream, unblemished when you first open up a tub. but better. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that first picture. Think I would rather eat it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer soft serve. Either way, this is good, rich ice cream for sure.
    Thanks for making ice cream with me this week!

    ReplyDelete