
This weeks selection celebrates the fruits of summer. Although, I live in Mexico, the plums and blueberries were from California - go figure! Even with the shipping distance, they were sweet and tasty. I know - so much for eating local. I crave produce that is sometimes not available here. The growers seem to ship the best of their crops to the States or Canada. Our Farmer's Market just closed until October. That is a switch, but it is rainy now, so it is difficult to get the produce to market. In addition, many expats are not here for a couple of months. I still shop in the local Mexican markets and am sometime surprised with what I can buy. Of course, chilis galore. I am going up to the States in September for a few weeks, and I intend to fulfill some of my cravings.
Now, back to the torte, I added some fresh black berries which I love. I baked the torte in the same skillet for making the caramel sauce, which ends on top of the torte when it is inverted. It melted into the fruit in such a delicious way. Next time, I may make extra to coat the fruit even more. I never really cared so much for caramel until I started making my own. Now it is a favorite and I am always thinking of ways to use it.
This is an easy and flexible recipe depending on the fruit available. I plan to try it with mangoes sometime. I look forward to reading the posts of the other outstanding and dedicated bakers in the Heavenly Cakes group.
Next week will be a chocolate challenge: Chocolate Feather Bed! Sounds intriguing, doesn't it? Have a good week of summer. How can be we half way through August? lola
Looks truly wonderful! Great job.
ReplyDelete:)
ButterYum
Your torte looks so delicious! I was wondering how blackberries would taste. There are loaded bushes out in the countryside right now.
ReplyDeleteI think mangoes would be an excellent idea! Great looking cake!
ReplyDeleteLola... where in Mexico are you? And I have to second Jennifer's input - mangos will probably would have worked as well if you could not have found the berries/plums.
ReplyDeletelooks yummy
ReplyDeleteYour torte looks beautiful and delicious. Love your ideas for combining with other fruit.
ReplyDeleteMonica, I live in Puerto Vallarta on the beach and love it. The Mexican culture, food and lovely people make my life sing. I have the opportunity to share with neighbors who have lived around the world and now have chosen to live in Mexico. They prepare their wonderful food specialities and tell of their life experiences. I am blessed. Thanks for asking.
ReplyDelete