Monday, March 14, 2011

Rose's Devil's Food Cake With Midnight Ganache

My oh my - this is a chocolate lovers dream! On Saturday I hosted a luncheon for ten lady friends and honoring the 90 year old mother of one friend. She was visiting from Canada and it was such fun to help her celebrate her birthday. This cake was a taste delight for all. I prepared papaya gazpacho, vegetarian lasagna and a layered salad for lunch -- then we all splurged on this decadent cake. Just in case we would not have enough dessert, Ha Ha!, I baked a Dorie recipe Creamiest Lime Pie with Mango in a gingersnap crumb crust. It was also delicious. Rose's cake is prepared with 99% chocolate and cocoa powder for a double punch and is baked in two pans. Rose calls for a Cognac Cherry filling. I didn't have any dried cherries, but used a nice French Black Cherry fruit jam which added that little surprise taste between the layers. The Midnight Ganache calls for cocoa powder and 60% chocolate and a caramel. It became so dark and shiny. What a rich treat and it frosted beautifully. I kept one little piece for my honey to taste and the rest went home with my guests. Please check out what the other Heavenly Cake Bakers did this week. http://heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/  Take care, lola
Creamiest Lime Cream Pie with mango and baked in a gingersnap crumb crust. It had a lovely fresh taste. This recipe can be found in Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my home to yours
cookbook.
My friend with her beautiful mother. Happy Birthday and Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Lola, your cake looks beautiful. It seems like everyone who made this one loved it.

    The pie looks scrumptious as well - love how you decorate the top.

    Happy Birthday to your friend's grandma. I love that photo, she looks happy :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks very dense..my kind of cake and i seem to see a lot of different version of it. :)

    ReplyDelete