Monday, March 28, 2011

Rose's Orange-Glow Chiffon Layer Cake "Rescue Mission"

Sad to say, I am getting to be good at "rescue missions". The chosen recipe for the HCB group is an orange, fluffy, moist and tender cake per Rose. It is to be baked in a springform pan encircled with cake strips and a flat flower nail in the center to conduct the heat as it bakes. Not having a flower nail, I used a 2 inch metal decorating tip which was suggested by another HCB baker. It was not really long enough, but all that I had. Now, I have been having difficulty with using cake strips. The cake seems to stick with little crumbs on the sides. Same problem this time. When it was baked (the pick came out clean), I placed it on an elevated cooling rack as required. Well, you can see it was less than successful. I had promised a friend to provide dessert for her family dinner tonight. Ah hah! I will cut it up (the cake does taste good) and make a trifle. I prepared a creme anglaise and some whipped cream, both flavored with pure orange extract. Cutting the cake in a slice for the bottom and layering the creams with raspberries, strawberries and mango and chunks of the cake. I topped it with whipped cream and raspberries. Not bad looking if I say so myself and I am sure it will taste delicious.  Have a great week and take care, lola

5 comments:

  1. IT'S GORGEOUS! I thought this would make a beautiful trifle. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Trifling" this cake was a great inspiration. I hope it tasted as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trifle looks gorgeous. Sorry the metal tip trick didn't work out for you. I've used it when I baked a large 12" round wedding cake for a friend. Anyway, your friends still got their desserts, as promised. Lucky them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a beautiful rescue! The trifle looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete