The selection this week is a Karmel Cake. No "Karmel" is not misspelled - the cake is named for a friend of Rose. Caramel calling for brown sugar is prepared for using in the batter which is a straight forward recipe. The batter was a lovely, fluffy light caramel color. I decided to bypass the use of baking strips this time. I have not been happy with the results of their use the last couple of cakes. I will have to keep trying. The cake raised up beautifully and checked out fine when tested during the baking. Then it collapsed in the center. Could it have been the lack of baking strips? I don't know. Mine certainly does not look like the photo in the book. A baking day of frustration. My honey said it was okay, but he has preferred other cakes that I have made. Too bad, as this is an easy to prepare cake. Oh well, on to next week. Please check out what the other Heavenly Cake Bakers did this week at http://heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/
Take care, lola

Good grief, both my husband and son said the same thing. This cake is great with melted ice cream poured over it, I can tell you that much! It soaked it up and was delicious. Do you think dark brown sugar and a bit of molasses would have made for a stronger caramel flavor?
ReplyDeleteMine sunk a bit it the center too.
ReplyDeleteVicki, I like the idea of a bit molasses. A stronger caramel flavor would be good.
ReplyDeleteLois, Glad I wasn't the only one with sunken center. Thanks for your comments.
i had to bake mine extra long otherwise it probably would have sunk in the center. i feel you on the cake strips--sometimes i think they are a problem, but sometimes i think they are wonderful. i'm interested in trying out rose's silicone cake strips to see if they perform better.
ReplyDelete