September 15th was Independence Day in Mexico, so how appropriate that our group is preparing Mexican recipes this month. We were given several choices from books by Rick Bayless. I prepared Tomatillo-Sauced Enchiladas with Spinach and Mushrooms from Mexican Everyday. As I live in Mexico, I do a lot of regional cooking. When making tomatillo sauce, I like to roast or char the tomatillos before blending them with the green chiles, garlic and cilantro. I think it adds another layer of flavor. I roasted these in a little bit of bacon fat in a cast iron skillet.
The sauce bubbles away to thicken and blend the flavors.
The filling is composed of mushrooms, spinach, sliced red onion. I had braised some pork which I shredded and added to this savory filling. The yummy, tasty result. I used chipotle flour tortillas - see the red color? They are not really spicy, just fun to use occasionally. The enchilada is napped with the tomatillo sauce, sprinkled queso fresco, red onion slices and cilantro. Pretty to the eye and very tasty. I had some filling left over and filled an omelette for brunch the next day.

Chipotle Shrimp was not on our list, but it is from the same book and such an easy preparation. I had purchased lovely fresh shrimp at the Mexican market, so was inspired as I browsed through this book. Cooking canned diced tomatoes with chiles en adobo and some garlic and adding some broth to make a light consistency, the shrimp are then cooked in this sauce. One pan, a few minutes and you are good to go. I, again, served on a half of chipotle flour tortilla.
I had planned to serve Chiles en Nogada this weekend which is a traditional dish for the holiday. Someone said it is the Mexican flag served on a plate - stuffed green poblano chile, white walnut sauce with red pomegranate seeds. I have been delayed due to a medical issue with my honey. He is doing better now, so I will get back to it this week. I will post when they are ready to serve.
Please check out the other Gutsy Cooks at http://www.sweetbitesblog.com/
This group has just reorganized after taking some time off this summer. Why don't you join us? I am looking forward to exciting and fun challenges. Take care. lola




I admire how comfortable you are with this kind of cooking. And I love the way your food looks! Wish I could have just a bite.
ReplyDeleteMarie
Lola!!! wow, it looks so good, I'm so happy to see you join in.. and you were right .. they were yummy, I totally re-vamped mine.. post is coming in a bit.
ReplyDelete