Saturday, May 14, 2011

HCB - Zach's La Bomba - The Last Cake

What a glorious dessert. Yes, one with many steps but such a star when it is completed. I prepared this several weeks ago for a dinner party. It was so exciting to make and serve that I made it again the next week for other guests.

The flourless chocolate mousse cake is baked on a half-sheet pan. The circle is then used for the base of the La Bomba. Actually, you get two circles from the recipe and some wonderful melt in your mouth scraps.

Some of the ingredients for the Blackberry Mousse filling. Sorry for the poor photo. The tea, chocolate with heavy cream mixture, pureed and strained blackberries


I could not find black currant or blackberry tea, so I used Twinings Four Red Fruits Black tea which had a lovely flavor. In making the sabayon, it took a good 20 minutes instead of the mentioned 5 minutes in the recipe for it to become a thick foam. I had not made sabayon in years, so it brought back "ah ha" memories as to how it should feel.

The frozen mousse ready for the glaze. I am so sorry that I couldn't get a photo of glazing the mousse. That is a little hard to do while pouring the glaze. I do not have a husband photographer in my kitchen. But, he is a great cleaner upper and taster and supporter. The glaze is amazing. Having arranged for space in the refrigerator, the glazed cake/mousse waits for the final touch of fresh blackberries. The finished cake was hard to photograph because of the glare and my reflection. Nevertheless, when served,  it was a stupendous success. My gluten free friend was amazed that she could indulge in such a decadent dessert and the other guests were duly impressed.

This last cake for HCB has to be one of my most successful recipes from Rose's Heavenly Cakes (I have had a number of not so great entries). Marie and some other HCB bakers have now baked through the entire book - well not the wedding cakes. Congratulations to all! Check out their blogs at http://heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/

My honey and I celebrate our 50th in January and I have a silly notion that perhaps I might be brave enough to bake a not too large of a wedding cake to celebrate with our friends.  I joined the group late, so have some catch up to do. A few other HCB bakers will also continue with baking to complete the book.  Marie has been an inspiration and a grand supporter. Thank you Marie for your committment and encouragement. Take care and have a wonderful summer everyone. Please keep in touch. lola

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'm so glad that you got this posted before you started your travels, so that everyone can see your success story before they start baking.
    I'll be watching to see if you tackle that wedding/50th anniversary cake--sounds like a great project.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one two lola! I hope you do a grand cake for your anniversary. I made a two tier cake for my parents' 50th, and I've been looking for another occasion to try out Rose's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Simply stunning. Good to know about the Twining's tea. I'd take a good cleaner upper and taster over photog, too. I hope you do make a wedding cake. I want to try one as well. I figure Rose wrote the instructions in such detail that it ought to be possible for a novice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Please contact me about TWD hosting in June. iahawk89 at comcast dot net.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lola, now that i've finished making the la bomba,i am doubly impressed you've made it twice and are planning another! i hope to see your small wedding cake next winter.

    ReplyDelete