Friday, October 8, 2010

French Fridays With Dorie - Gerard's Mustard Tart



Yet another winner from Dories's new book, Around My French Table. Over the years, I have made many tarts, quiche, etc. This tart stars Dijon mustard and is supported by a creamy filling trimmed with steamed carrots and leeks cut into slender sticks. I could not get nice leeks, so I substituted green onion. The vegetables are steamed with fresh rosemary, which adds a lovely component. I couldn't help myself, as I had roasted some red peppers earlier, so I added a few slivers. I was somewhat skeptical as to how this tart would taste with the mustard as the primary taste. I should not question Dorie, as the combination of a smooth Dijon and a grainy was perfect.
The crust is partially baked before the filling is added. I baked the tart about 5 minutes before adding the vegetables, as I thought they might sink. It worked well. A six inch tart was just enough to share with my honey and looked adorable. This will be a welcome addition to my catalogue of recipes. Please check out http://frenchfridayswithdorie.com/ to see what other FFwD cooks have prepared. Have a good baking/cooking week. lola

2 comments:

  1. How pretty! The roasted pepper sounds like a wonderful addition. I can't figure out how to make this without mustard. Husband has a life threatening allergy to it. Horseradish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, What a terrible allergy. I just would not know what to substitute. Thanks for your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete