
It is the beginning of the pumpkin season, so Janell of Mortensen Family Memoirs selected this "dark as chocolate - big and bold pie" (words from Dorie). In deed it is that! As you can see by the photo, it appears to be chocolate. When my pie cooled, a sizeable crack appeared - perhaps I baked it just a bit too long. Oh well! A caramel is made and added to typical pumpkin ingredients and baked in a partially baked tart or pie shell. I made a smaller tart using half of the recipe for my honey and me. In my opinion, the caramel overshadows the pumpkin. My favorite Dorie pumpkin pie is the Thanksgiving Twofer, which is also in her book, Baking From My Home To Yours. That will be my choice for our Thanksgiving celebration. Please check out what the other TWD bakers did with this pie. http://tuesdayswithdorie.com/ Up next week - All-American, All-Delicious Apple Pie YUM! Have a good week. lola
Yep, this is perfect for Thanksgiving. Your pie looks dark and delicious!
ReplyDeletedecadently smooth and delicious!
ReplyDeleteI need to make the Twofer Pie. Somehow I missed that week. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteMy first pie was dark like that too--just like Dorie describes, but I thought it was too overpowering like you did. I couldn't even taste the pumpkin! Lighter caramel tastes much better in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, thanks for baking along with me this week.