Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ABC Pumpkin Ice Cream Profiteroles with Caramel Sauce


How could I resist joining this baking group. In the food blog world, I found Hanaa, http://hanaaskitchen.blogspot.com/ and was delighted to see that she and her friend, Wafae, had started Avid Bakers Challenge - ABC earlier in the year. I became very excited when I realized they were baking from Baking for All Occasions by the extraordinary Flo Braker. I purchased this book last year and had barely scratched the surface, so I was good to go. Before I begin, I must share that I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in cooking classes presented by Flo - now get this - in the 1970s - Yes, I am "older", but not in spirit or enthusiasm for cooking, baking and sharing. I lived in Northern California at the time and owned a small restaurant/catering business. I barely knew what I was doing, but it was a success. Flo was giving classes in South San Franciso at the Jack Lirio Cooking School. I was so impressed with her perfection in all things related to food and baking. Her sharing spirit and love of baking remains with me to this day. As I post recipes from her book, I will share other memories of my acquaintance with Flo. Life went on with other things, although I always have remained an avid cook and love to entertain. Several years ago, my honey and I retired to live in Mexico. No, I do not cook just Mexican, although I love to research and prepare the traditional cuisine of Mexico. With the abundance of food blogs and online cooking groups, my world has expanded exponentially. I so enjoy sharing experiences with other avid cooks. I have learned much from so many. Thank you all! Now on to the November ABC selection.
I have made probably thousands of cream puffs both sweet and savory over the years. Flo's recipe called for preparing the little puffs as usual, but then topping them with a very thin sugar cookie dough before baking. I was skeptical that the little puffs would have enough oomph to puff up. Well, was I wrong. They are adorable with the crunchy top. The little puffs are filled with a small scoop of pumpkin ice cream and frozen before serving. The perfect make ahead dessert. I prepared a decadent, rich pumpkin ice cream from David Lebowitz. The final delicious touch is homemade caramel. I am anxious to experiment with other little cookies baked on top of the cream puff pastry - maybe a cheese cracker on another kind of cheese puff or chocolate on a puff filled with chocolate ice cream and on and on and on! Thank you Flo for a delightful recipe. Thank you Hanaa for your interest and expertise in hosting this group. Please check out our ABC adventures on http://avidbakerschallenge.blogspot.com/. and put Baking for All Occasions on your holiday wish list so that you can join us. The December challenge is Maple-Pecan Medjool Date Rugelach
Happy Thanksgiving! lola






7 comments:

  1. Your profiteroles turned out great. Nice and puffy. I'm glad you've enjoyed your first ABC entry. Looking forward to seeing your future ABC posts :o)

    Btw, I noticed a minor typo in the link to my blog. It's HanaasKitchen :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Looks great...yumm yumm...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Those looks great. You got so much puff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I love that dark caramel!! Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An update on this recipe. I first served as suggested by Flo - filled and frozen puffs. But then, I decided to make my ice cream balls and keep them frozen. Before serving, I cut the puffs and heated them to become crisp again. The little "cookie" topknot has such a lovely crunch. Placing the ice cream ball in the warm puff was lovely with warm caramel. Yummmmy!

    ReplyDelete