Friday, November 12, 2010

French Fridays With Dorie - Caramel Topped Semolina Cake


When I started posting on this blog, I decided that I would post "great, not so great, misses and near misses". This entry would be a "miss". I just took it out of the oven and plated it. You can see that it didn't hold. I prepared half of the recipe in a 6" pan. First, the pan is coated with caramel (I had some on hand from a recent baking project) and a batter is made of cooked Cream of Wheat in milk with the addition of sugar, vanilla and egg. There was quite a lot of discussion on FFwD about substitutions for Cream of Wheat. I could not find it where I live. I did have Bob's Red Mill Semolina Pasta Flour. When it was cooked, it looked very much like Cream of Wheat. The cake is then baked until a sharp knife inserted comes out clean. It is inverted onto a plate while still warm. I really think this is more like a pudding than cake, so maybe mine is okay. In tasting, the texture is pudding like and, of course, the caramel is yummy. I had soaked dried cherries in red wine (a suggestion from Sweetbites). They add a nice touch. I will give this another try when I have Cream of Wheat and some little grandchildren visiting to eat it. I believe they would love it. Please check out http://frenchfridayswithdorie.com/ to see how the other cooks did. Take care, lola

5 comments:

  1. I believe Cream of wheat and Farina are the same thing. If you have neither, I don't know what would be a good sub. At least the caramel tasted good :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks good...I love hot cereal so Im thinking I will love this one! I am excited to try it. Im sure your grand children will love it!
    I made the PG this week and really loved all the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, happy to find ur blog and lookn forward to ur FFwd Entries!
    Am excited to try this recipe and am still lookn for cream of wheat ,which i doubt will find here , if i dont am gng ahead and tryn it with semolina:-)
    It might have not held but it still looks elicious:-)
    happy weekend!!
    I am done with the other 3 recipes this month so only have this one left to bake and post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it had the pretty much the same texture and taste as the Cream of Wheat. I found it a little tricky to get it out of the pans and one of them stuck a little bit, so I know the frustration you felt when that happened to yours. The caramel on yours is a beautiful amber color. I like the idea of the cherries soaked in red wine. I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete