Monday, October 17, 2011

Gutsy Cooks Rice Continues - Indonesian Coconut Rice with Chicken

The Gutsy Cooks are still on their quest to explore rice. This week we are to use rice in "An All In One Dish". Gosh, it seems that I did that often when my kids where growing up. I chose a more adult version preparing Indonesian Coconut Rice with Chicken and Zuchinni (I used green beans because I had them). This recipe is from Food & Wine magazine and is a "Quick From Scratch One-Dish Meals" recipe. Check out Monica's blog for the recipe. Chicken thighs are browned and removed from the pan and then sliced onions are sauteed with garlic a bit later, so that it will not burn. Coriander, cumin and rice (I used brown rice) are added with addition of water and then coconut milk. I cooked the rice with the spice for about 7 minutes before adding in the chicken and coconut milk. Brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice. Cover and enjoy the aroma as it cooks. I did a quick cook on the green beans instead of adding them to the chicken braise. I am fortunate to have mango chutney from my Indian friend and it was the perfect accompaniment to this dish which is subtle in taste. A sprinkle of chopped cilantro and toasted slivered almonds and it was a perfect little dinner for my honey and me.
Please check out the other Gutsy Cooks at http://www.sweetbitesblog.com/
I missed last week due to preparations for Hurricane Jova which went south of us and leaving balmy weather in Puerto Vallarta. We are thankful.

Sunset after Jova - Take care, lola

2 comments:

  1. Lola! I'm so glad that the only thing Jova gave you was good weather!

    I was so on the fence between this recipe and Arroz Imperial - opted for the Imperial rice instead... but I'm thinking I need to try this, you and Tammy both made it and it sounds so yummy.

    Can't wait for this weeks choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful sunset--so glad that was all you received from the hurricane! This dish looks so good I might have to go to the store so I can make it tonight!

    ReplyDelete